On Saturday we celebrate everything social media for World Social Media Day 2018. Now unless you have been living under a rock for the past 15 years you will have in one way or another used a social media platform in your day to day life. If you haven’t you will have at least heard the names Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
At Hush Digital we use social media every single day. We use it either to help our clients grow their brands or to share the most up-to-date Hush and industry news! But, we understand that some of you might be social media novices. With this in mind, we have a quick and handy guide for all things social media!
Pretty much the biggest platform in the world with over 2.20 billion monthly active users.
- Launched: 2004
- Founders: Mark Zuckerberg, Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz, Chris Hughes
- Associated platforms: Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp, Oculus VR, tbh, Watch
- Facebook users are 76% female and 66% male
- Photo uploads total 300 million per day
- Average time spent per Facebook visit is 20 minutes
- If you want to learn about the start of Facebook, we recommended watching The Social Network
- In 2018 we have helped our clients engage with over 136,000 people via Facebook
The photo sharing, Facebook-owned juggernaut has over 800 million monthly users.
- Launched: 2010
- Founders: Kevin Systrom, Mike Krieger
- Associated platforms: Facebook
- 7 out of 10 Hashtags on Instagram are branded – something to think about for your next campaign
- There are 8 million business profiles on Instagram, many businesses have made the transition to a business profile
- enabling them access to better advertising features
- 80% of users follow a business on Instagram, meaning you can’t ignore using it as a communications platform
Twitter has over 330 million users and is the third giant in the social media market.
- Launched: 2006
- Founders: Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass, Biz Stone, Evan Williams
- Associated platforms: Vine, Periscope
- An average 500 million tweets are sent every day
- The Hashtag debuted in August 2017
- Tweets with images get 150% more retweets
- 80% of Twitter users have mentioned a brand in a Tweet
- In 2018 we have helped our clients engage with over 64,000 people via Twitter
The online pinboard app boasts over 200 million monthly users.
- Launched: 2010
- Founders: Paul Sciarra, Evan Sharp, Ben Silbermann
- Every day, 2 million people post to Pinterest
- 85% of all Pinterest searches happen on a mobile device
- A lot of users use Pinterest to plan major life events i.e. moving house, weddings etc.
- Most pinning activities occur in the afternoon/evening
Owned by Microsoft, LinkedIn offers a social media platform for business professionals to connect.
- Launched: 2003
- Founders: Reid Hoffman, Allen Blue, Konstantin Guericke, Eric Ly, Jean-Luc Vaillant
- 530 million members as of January 2018
- Purchased by Microsoft in 2016 for $26.4 billion
- LinkedIn now has 3 million active job listings, perfect when users are on the hunt for a new position
- In 2018 alone we have helped our clients engage with over 109,000 people
The team at Hush love working with our clients on their social media efforts. Whether it’s a combined approach to social media management or a fully bespoke service, Hush is perfectly placed to help you engage with your current and potential customers via social media.
Want to know how we can help you? Contact the friendly team at Hush today.